Tuesday 26 May 2009

The wonders of leading the herd

I'm posting this mini-rant on this blog and not my other one, because it concerns a lot of my livejournal friends.

Approximately two-three months ago, I decided that I wanted to start bouldering. This is like rock climbing, but you never go higher than three-five metres off the ground. I mentioned this on my LJ, got a contact from one friend and expressed my desire to give it a try. I then discover that about three other friends have lept on the idea, and are also going to the introduction session the following Friday, which I was unable to make. So I ring up the place and manage to book a one-on-one intro session for the Friday afternoon. Go along. Have loads of fun.

Since then, I have been going fairly regularly with a friend that is also rather good at climbing. I find this very useful, as he encourages me to climb better and try harder problems than if I was going on my own. We have a laugh when we go as well. We get along like a house on fire (with the screaming, burning and subsequent insurance claims).

Another friend joins us for an hour of these sessions. I do not mind this. Much.

However, recently a lot of other friends are getting in on the act. They all go along on a Thursday evening, meet up, have a great time. I am unable to go. I am jealous. I then find out today that a hefty group went yesterday lunchtime as well. And there are photos. They, again, look like they are having a great time.

I am really rather annoyed over this. I know that it's stupid and immature, but this was -my- hobby, and now a load of other people have come in and are taking over and I feel less unique and interesting as a result. The only thing that I can hope is that one of the friends who drives in from Cardiff stops fairly soon because she can't afford it, and another one - whose first session was yesterday - decides not to take it up, especially when he feels how painful it can be the morning after.

So, am I selfish and childish and immature? Surely these people should be able to find their own hobby...

2 comments:

  1. This may seem a little harsh, but...

    *slap*

    Get a grip girl. Some people have real problems.

    Y'know, if it matters that much to you, you could always get another hobby. Like lion taming, or fire breathing, or drinkin'. Drinkin's a good one.

    Meanwhile, you're dead right about the sword swap on the witch hunter. That curvy sabre thing's a piece of crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drinkin'....I like the sound of that one!

    ReplyDelete